A PR specialist at B2 Communications has a nose for news, strong writing skills, and a demonstrated ability to deliver on impactful and meaningful PR strategies. This professional has the ability to recognize opportunities through a variety of public relations tactics.
The PR specialist is proficient at core PR tactics (writing, relationship building and media outreach) and has a strong appetite to further expand their skillset. They understand the importance of delivering quality work and take ownership of their responsibilities.
This PR specialist is skilled at completing high-quality work on deadline, juggling multiple assignments and being accountable for results. This person is a flexible self-starter and is able to work autonomously, able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, and contributes in a meaningful way to client and team objectives.
PR Specialist: Key Responsibilities
- Understand clients’ needs and work with team to develop PR plans that effectively meet clients’ communications objectives.
- Create and follow project timelines, and work with team to accomplish client goals.
- Interview subject matter experts to find newsworthy angles and interesting details.
- Cultivate relationships with key reporters, producers and editors. Draft pitches that will resonate with individual reporters, producers and editors. Follow through on media relations efforts.
- Develop news releases, newsletter articles, blog posts and other materials that clearly, concisely, and consistently communicate clients’ key messages.
- Create media talking points and prepare spokesperson(s) for interviews.
- Develop content: create/manage editorial calendars, interview subject matter experts, and write interesting, accurate items in journalistic style.
- Update online assets through content management systems like WordPress and email management programs like MailChimp or Constant Contact.
- Assist clients with social media strategy and create performance metrics.
- Address client needs in a timely manner and proactively communicate with clients. Attend client meetings and calls.
- Communicate project status, meet deadlines and surpass client expectations.
- Create monthly client reports on key accomplishments, activities, and media coverage.
- Work independently by prioritizing tasks and following through on projects to completion.
Desired Knowledge & Skills
- Self-starting person who is able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Proactive and curious in nature, with a desire to continually learn and improve your work.
- Experience in successfully working with news media (or experience working as a journalist), particularly business media.
- Powerful, concise writer with command of journalistic and AP style.
- Strong copy-editing abilities and accuracy with facts, titles, proper nouns, etc.
- Voracious reader and news junkie.
- Keen attention to detail, highly organized, and able to multitask and juggle multiple priorities.
- Desire to continually learn and improve your work.
Required Experience for PR Specialist
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in public relations, communications or journalism, with at least 1 year of experience at a PR agency.
- Must have excellent writing skills and command of AP style.
- Mastery of key computer applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail.
- Understanding of media research databases like Cision and monitoring tools like BurrellesLuce.
- Proficiency with content management systems like WordPress, email marketing platforms like MailChimp and visual content editing tools such as Canva.
- Familiarity with social management/scheduling tools such as Sprout Social or Loomly.
- Bachelor’s degree required – focus on journalism, communications or public relations preferred.
This is a full-time, fully virtual position, however, in-market (Tampa Bay) meetings are required at least twice per month. Candidates who live in the Tampa Bay region, in Central Florida or along Florida’s Gulf Coast are preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include group health insurance, paid time off, access to co-working space, stipend for cell phone and internet, and ample opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply:
B2 Communications is committed to providing equal opportunity to applicants and to maintaining an equitable and inclusive workplace. BIPOC and LGBTQ+ applicants are encouraged to apply.
Please fill out this form to submit your resume and 1-3 writing samples. Emailed resumes will not be considered.
B2 Communications is an equal opportunity employer and committed to maintaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. Read more about our values here.